the majority of our team are Generation Z - we’re facing this with you.
‘Enjoy life while you’re young’ is something I frequently get told, but unfortunately it’s undermined with an almost immediate enquiry as to what I want to do with my life!
The advice is to ‘take it slow’, but little do they know we grew up too quickly because we never could just enjoy life. I am a proud member of Generation Z, broadly defined as the 72 million people born between 1997 and 2012.
We were the digitally native generation in line to inherit a strong economy with record low employment, but then Covid happened and turned our world upside down.
stress and generation Z
- 57% of young people have felt so stressed because of fear of making mistakes they have felt overwhelmed or unable to cope (Mental Health Org)
- 22% of Gen Zs in the UK took time off work due to stress and anxiety caused by the pandemic (Deloitte, 2021)
- Concerns over their longer-term financial futures (35% of Gen Zs), welfare of their family (31% of Gen Zs) and 36% of Gen Zs were highlighted as the leading causes of anxiety among those feeling stressed. (Deloitte, 2021)
- Globally, 46% of Gen Zs say they feel stressed or anxious all, or most, of the time according to Deloitte’s survey of 23,000 millennials and Gen Zs across 45 countries
Here at techtimeout, we wanted to take this opportunity during Stress Awareness Month to remind Generation Z that you are not alone, that you are seen, heard and so valid.
our top 3 tips to ‘take a minute’ and get your life back in balance:
- Take a minute to really sit back and assess your current situation
- If you can, let go of some things that may not even matter in a few years time. Remember the more you store something, the heavier it gets - so don’t bottle it up!
- Be kinder to yourself and recognise your wins, no matter how small. Then step by step, face the things that are in your control.
"The future hasn't happened yet and the past is gone. So I think the only moment we have is right here and now, and I try to make the best of those moments, the moments that I'm in."
- Annie Lennox.
We’ve got your back.
Follow our social media channels to keep up-to-date with our resources. We hope that we can help you navigate the digital world while taking care of your mental health.